Free Wi-Fi at the Library!
Welcome to Pamunkey Regional Library's wireless network. Using your own laptop, iPod, or other wireless enabled device, you can access the Internet throughout our library branches. Although steel shelving may cause some interference in some locations, you should be able to pick up the wireless signal in most areas of our branches.
Connecting: In most cases your laptop will automatically recognize there is a wireless network to connect to. Should this not be the case, check that your wireless adapter is correctly installed as per the instructions that came with it. Also, make sure your configuration settings match the following:
- Network name (SSID): Look for the branch name and Library (ex. Mechanicsville Library)
- Network mode: Infrastructure
- WEP: Disabled
- IP/Network settings: DCHP-enabled, or automatically obtains IP address
- DNS: Automatically obtains DNS address
- Gateway: WIFI card obtains automatically with no default set.
Any modified settings should be
saved, and, if necessary, your laptop should be restarted.
If you have installed a PFS (Personal Firewall System) make sure it is not blocking the library's internet access. The PFS may need to be disabled, or you may need to authorize access to it. The Library's free Wi-Fi is provided on an unsecured network. It is commonly recommended users have both a firewall and virus checker whenever using the Internet.
Please note: Library staff cannot assist you with your laptop, Wi-Fi card, or configuration settings. The library assumes no responsibility for any damages that may occur due to power surges, problems arising from using an unsecured network, etc. Information sent from or to your laptop can be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software, within three hundred feet. The library also cannot guarantee that you will be able to connect to the wireless network.
- The library does not provide remote/wireless printing for laptops.
- Headphones are required when listening to audio/video files.
- When using the online library databases at either www.pamunkeylibrary.org/databases.htm or www.pamunkeylibrary.org/databases_by_alpha.htm, choose "Access from Library."
- Wireless laptop users are required to follow library guidelines for computer use.